Monday, January 24, 2011

Works you from head to toe

I did it! I found the best cardio workout you can do in the winter outside! It's called nordic skate skiing and I am OBSESSED!  Nordic cross country skate skiing takes place on very long narrow skis, and poles almost as tall as me. Skate skiing involves a weight transfer onto one ski angled and then the other, supported by the inner edge of the ski on the snow, which looks similar to an ice skater. Not only has this sport shown me how out of shape I am it has also shown me how fun working on my endurance can be. Last winter I tried skate skiing twice and knew I loved it but never bought my own equipment and then winter 2010 turned into summer 2010 in the blink of an eye. A few people I work with skate ski and so I made the decision to get my own gear and get out there and give it a try, because I knew that I would always have people to go with and have people there to give me pointers. My first time out on the ski's I went with my roommates, who are both professional athletes. I fell, and then I fell, and then I fell again, giving my roommates a lot to laugh about. I told them I am a professional faller. However it didn't discourage me, I have been out twice since last week's first time out and I plan on going again today and a few more times this week. The great thing about living in Park City is that everyone like to be out and be active, which makes for a lot of places outdoors to get out and be active. There are more than just one place to go but my personal favorite is a free groomed track with more than 10k of trails to skate on, and the best part is that is is right next door to the hospital where I work. So when I work noon to midnight shifts I just get my gear ready and go for an hour before I work then shower and get ready for work at the hospital. Right now I can't go for very long before I get winded and have to take a little breathing break. But I know the more I go the better my endurance, and booty, will become. I have big goals to be in shape this summer and this new found sport of skate skiing is helping me along just great! So, if you are looking for a fun new way to get outside and a killer workout to boot; look no further than XC-skate skiing!
(2 of my best friends and roommates)

1 Comments:

Blogger Shani said...

That sounds so awesome Shasta! I love that you work close to it too, cause that's always nice. Good job! When summer time comes, we will teach you to slack line! It's a great workout too :)

January 25, 2011 at 11:53 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home